These instructions are meant for indicating (blue or orange) product only, it is difficult to effectively gauge if colorless product has re-generated.
Let’s begin with some safety precautions:
- Use a Pyrex baking dish which is at least a ¼“ thick, the product becomes very hot while drying and potentially can cause other types of glass to shatter.
- It is also recommended not to use a Pyrex pie plate or microwave safe dishes as well.
- Another good option is a metal baking sheet with sides no higher than 2”.
- If you smell a slight odor while re-drying silica gel, the safety data sheets states “oxides of carbon and silicon may be formed when heated”.
- To disperse vapors and or dust coming from the silica gel or molecular sieve use good ventilation in combination with a dust mask from any big box store to prevent inhalation.
- Allow the Pyrex container to cool down to a safe temperature before moving baking dish and use an oven mitt. Set on a trivet or hot pad to absorb any residual heat.
- Before storing the product, allow it to cool well enough to handle than you can transfer to a seal tight container for storage; again do this in a well ventilated area so product dust does not get inhaled.
Now that you are prepared to handle the product safely, there are two options:
Microwave re-drying method:
- Deposit a pound of silica gel or molecular sieve in Pyrex baking dish; spread an even layer in the dish.
- Program the microwave on medium; run it in segments of 3 to 5 minutes at a time.
- Microwave types vary in power so the times listed are approximations.
- Inspect the product for a change in color than stir. Do this over again until you have reached roughly 10 to 12 minutes, which is generally how long it will take to fully rejuvenate.
- Do not overheat, product will darken and become unusable.
Oven re-drying method (preferred):
- Deposit 2 pounds (1 quart) of silica gel or molecular sieve in Pyrex baking dish; spread an even layer in the dish.
- Program the oven at 275°F.
- Leave the oven door slightly ajar and bake for about 1 ½ hours.
- View every 15 minutes for change in color; do not overheat, product will darken and become unusable.
For this and many other product options for controlling moisture, see Delta Adsorbents complete product line.